As 2019 draws to a close, here’s a look at NYLS’s top-performing feature stories this year:
1. Reflections From the Class of 2019: In the lead-up to Commencement 2019, members of the graduating class shared their proudest accomplishments and best memories of life at NYLS.
2. Hon. Carolyn Walker-Diallo ’03 Named Supervising Judge of Kings County Civil Court: Judge Walker-Diallo, the first Muslim woman elected as a judge in the United States and the first Muslim to serve as a judge in New York State, took the next step in her groundbreaking career.
3. NYLS’s 127th Commencement Celebrates Lawyers’ Role in Upholding the Rule of Law: On May 20, 2019, nearly 300 J.D. and LL.M. graduates heard from global leaders at Lincoln Center.
4. Post-Graduate Spotlight: Danney Salvatierra ’19: After graduation, Salvatierra joined African Services Committee, a multi-service human rights agency, where she assists refugees from Africa and other immigrants in New York City.
5. NYLS Debuts New Resources to Support Evening Students’ Success: With a gift from a generous Evening Division alum and a grant from AccessLex Institute, NYLS is setting the stage to further enhance its 125-year-old Evening Division.
6. Jennifer Harris ’11 Reflects on Her Path to a Successful Career in Big Law: Harris reflected on her seven years at the New York office of Lewis Brisbois, where she was recently named partner.
7. NYLS Hosts Major Career Fair for Northeast Black Law Students Association: On August 2, 2019, for the ninth year in a row, NYLS hosted a major job fair for the Northeast Region of the National Black Law Students Association.
8. Seven NYLS Alumni Make the “Staten Island Power 100” List: Seven well-known NYLS graduates were named to City & State New York’s “Staten Island Power 100” list—and two of the top three Staten Islanders on the list were alumni.
9. Award Highlights: Four Students and New Grads Recently Honored: NYLS celebrated four students and recent alumni who were honored by the New York City legal community during spring 2019.
10. Cathy Yoon ’07 Reflects on the Transition From Big Banking to Life at a Blockchain Startup: Yoon, who has witnessed the dramatic growth of blockchain technology firsthand, shared her career insights.
More 2019 Highlights
Relive photo highlights from this past spring.